Travel to Malta with Susan Stephens


 

I returned recently to the beautiful Mediterranean island of Malta. Steeped in history, Malta is where I first met my husband forty-five years ago. Famously, we met on Monday, became engaged on Friday, and married three months later. You can imagine the horror of my family and his! But three children and eight grandchildren later, we are more in love than ever.



My eldest child was born on the island in the Blue Sisters nursing home, and was later christened in Valletta cathedral. 



The battlements surrounding Malta’s capital Valletta are awe-inspiring, with centuries of history contained within those walls.

One excellent trip I could recommend to you, would be to take a local water taxi across the harbour to appreciate the scale of the island’s defences.  

If you’re lucky you will have a friendly boatman who will act as an informal tour guide and explain everything you see, while you sit back in one of the colourful local boats, all of which have eyes painted on the prow to ward off the ‘evil eye’.



Food and flowers figure large in my memory of Malta And no wonder. 

The formal gardens in public spaces are a credit to the gardeners who nurture these plants in a hot and challenging climate. 






While the food…yum! My favourite snack is known as Hobz biz zeyt. This is basically scrummy local bread - soft inside with the crispest crust imaginable, stuffed with a mixture that varies from shop to shop, but which mainly consists of tomato and tuna, onion and olives etc etc and I can’t even write any more because just describing it is making me so hungry!!! So, here’s a pic instead. And yes, I did share it with a friend lol! Though if I had to - if you forced me to - I would have no difficulty eating the whole thing!!



And let’s not forget the cakes! There is a gorgeous cafe on Republic Street, the main pedestrianised thoroughfare in Valletta, called Caffe Cordina. This is the number one place to visit for your morning coffee, accompanied by a cheeky little cake (or 2) ;)


And finally, most important of all to me, are the lifelong friends I made in Malta. Lino and Marthese were indescribably kind to us when our eldest suffered from chronic asthma as a child. And the amazing, and truly wonderful thing is that each time we meet up, we pick up where we left off, as if we had never been apart. On our last visit Lino bought us a Maltese flag to remind us, he says, of where our hearts first met. What more can I say, than family and friendship are the most precious things on earth, and I wish you that same support, love, and happiness.


I hope you’ll join me on my travels later in the year, when I have Vienna in my sights…

With my love to you all,
Susan



Susan was a professional singer before meeting her husband on the tiny Mediterranean island of Malta. In true Harlequin Presents style they met on Monday, became engaged on Friday and were married three months later.

A menagerie consisting of dogs, cats, horses, a donkey, several guinea pigs, a husband and three terrific children, keeps Susan busy when she isn’t writing!

She enjoys entertaining, travel, and going to the theatre. To relax she reads, cooks and plays the piano, and when she's had enough of relaxing she throws herself off mountains on skis, or gallops through the countryside singing loudly.


Susan Stephens on the web:

Website     Facebook     Twitter      Instagram 

Susan has a new book out this month:

Kidnapped for the Acosta Heir (The Acostas! Book 11)


Alejandro Acosta:
Billionaire, enigma…father?The death of her beloved brother was the first of three shocks for singer Sienna Slater. The second was inheriting his half of a Spanish island…and the last was discovering her brother’s best friend, Alejandro, owns the other half!

Sparks fly as their worlds collide, until one unforgettable night leaves Sienna carrying a nine-month secret. But before she has the chance to confess to Alejandro, he discovers the truth and swiftly steals her away on his superyacht. Now, Sienna is about to realize how intent Alejandro is on claiming his child. No matter what it takes…

From Harlequin Presents:
 Escape to exotic locations where passion knows no bounds.




Read all the The Acostas! books:

 Book 1: 
One Scandalous Christmas Eve
Book 2: 
The Playboy Prince of Scandal
Book 3: 
Forbidden to Her Spanish Boss
Book 4: 
Kidnapped for the Acosta Heir

Buy on:




23 comments:

  1. Nicecto meet Susan the book sounds good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! I loved writing this story, and hope you enjoy reading it :) xx

      Delete
  2. Your trip sounds amazing, Malta is my kind of place...water and good food! I lovethe story of you and your husband, and that you're still friends with Lino and Marthese. I have a few friends from school that when we meet up again it's like no time has passed since we last saw each other. I agree that family and friendship are the most precious things on earth. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t agree more Vicki. I’m sure this all feeds into the fact that I write romance. I believe in people, and, like a plant, friendship needs nurturing- I love my garden too!!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Woow you met a men 45 years ago and love at the first sight!

    Malta is looking so historical. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly did. The first year was pretty wild, as we got the ‘getting to know you’ process back to front, but we have never regretted that snap decision. xx

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Susan - and thank you for sharing your Malta love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s my pleasure. I can’t write enough about those good friends or that fascinating country xx

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed the tour of Malta. Fun love story, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun and crazy-fast, but lasting. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut! There’s no doubt I have a deep emotional bond with Malta xx

      Delete
  6. sound Malta is a nice place to visit...
    thank you for sharing beautiful photos and details....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanza, for stopping by to share your thoughts on what was an amazing trip to revisit so many memories xx

      Delete
  7. Malta! Sounds wonderful. I'd love to go. Thank you for sharing your personal history with the country, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a special trip. Best of all, was the friendship revisited. As strong as ever, like me and the man I met by chance all those years ago, Malta will always be special to me :) xx

      Delete
  8. Now that's a love story:)
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder I write for the passion line!! Such a terrifying time for my parents, but wonderful for me!! xx

      Delete
  9. That's a true love story and Malta looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s such an intriguing country, with centuries of history due to the island’s strategically important position in the Mediterranean- but it’s the warmth of the people that makes it truly special xx

      Delete
  10. You have quite the love story! Loved seeing all these pictures and now I am hungry for that delicious looking snack. Yum! Thanks for sharing. :) ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When our friends asked where they could take me to enjoy a Maltese treat, Hobz biz zejt was the first, the only thing on my mind! Yum indeed!! xx

      Delete
  11. Malta is still on my list- I hope to visit this country one day <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to visit Malta one day <3 Pretty photos

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. It’s such an interesting island. So much history packed into a beautiful place :)

    ReplyDelete